Thursday 1 March 2012

Lothar Gotz: Wait Until Dark @ Chapter

So today I was desperate to find one Literature Wales' brown paper packages tied up with string. So desperate that I walked around the university buildings and the RWCMD peering through shelves and under tables. I didn't even care what the book was, I just wanted the excitement of finding it. I think if I'd had the transport to get to Gwdihw, the WMC or Milgi's I might have found one. This unrelenting need for one of these packages made me walk all the way to Chapter. Needless to say, I didn't find a package in the end, but I did find some very exciting and unexpected art work (and some lovely Bookcrossing people, more on that soon).

Chapter Gallery is currently hosting an exhibition by Lothar Gotz called Wait Until Dark, which combines some of his drawings together with specially commissioned installations and wall paintings. Gotz is famed for his use of vivid colours and geometric shapes with immense visual force (like Circus below, which has an incredible impact in real life).


The German artists also explains that his work is inspired by the buildings that house it and what else they are used for, their inhabitants and their histories. The colours are meant to represent the spirit of these people, places and activities. In the case of Chapter, this means performance (hence Circus), community, excitement. What struck me most, however, was how so many of the works seemed to have incorporated the physical form of books, like the picture below which evokes pages turning. Perhaps I just had World Book Day on my mind, but it feels that this exhibition is the perfect accompaniment to Chapter's dedication to bringing reading into its community with its new Bookcrossing zone.


















The exhibition is free and runs until Sunday 1st April 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment