Tuesday 17 June 2014

SPLAS Migration and Exile Conference

I’ll admit it, I’m a conference junkie. I’ve been to three already this year. The Narratives of Migration and Exile conference held at King’s last week was my favourite yet, and not just because I’m biased!
It was a real pleasure to hear such an interesting collection of papers from postgraduates and early career researchers who had travelled from across the UK, Europe and North America to join us in discussing topics like home, belonging and identity, topics that get to the heart of who we are and how we relate to people and places. I’d like to share some of my highlights in this post:
  • The screening of Un Franco, 14 Pesetas was a great success – it drew a crowd and lots of laughs. It was great to speak to members of the London Spanish Film Club after who said the film reflected many of their real-life experiences and concerns as migrants.
  • I got to try out some new ideas in my paper and received some very useful, thought-provoking questions, and also got to chair a panel (great sense of power!)
  • Prof. Slyvia Molloy delivering her keynote
    Two fascinating keynotes from Prof. Sylvia Molloy, NYU, and Dr Juan Carlos Velasco, CSIC. Getting such a big name as Prof. Molloy was a real coup for King’s (thanks to the dedication of the organisers), and her keynote was inspiring. She spoke of how home does not exist until it is left behind and created in the imagination, making it impossible to return.You can now listen to podcasts of both keynotes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment