Tuesday 17 June 2014

Library Love

(Originally posted 19 March 2013)
Don’t worry, I haven’t succumbed to one of those ‘Spotted in the Library’ Facebook groups to declare my lust for ‘Hottie in the blue t-shirt reading Sartre’, it’s just that after six months at King’s I’m finally starting to make the most of the library.
The Venezuelan shelf in the stacks
My project is about a collection of novels, which aren’t in the library, or indeed any library, expect maybe one in Pennsylvannia or Texas. As a result, I spent most of the first few months reading the books that had been smuggled to me by Venezuelans on holiday in London or emailed to me by the authors themselves. Now, however, I’ve been using the library to the full and finally feel like a real PhD student.
I was far too excited about my first ever Inter-Library Loan. I could have bought the book in question for £40 and waited several weeks for it to arrive from Venezuela, but thanks to the library, I got it in a matter of days for free :D
After lots of getting lost in the labyrinth of stacks, I also finally found the Venezuelan shelf. It’s a real treasure trove of classic texts, which I am now slowly working my way through. I was so geekily happy at my discovery, I thought I had to share it with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment