Wednesday 26 September 2012

And so it begins...

As of Monday, I am officially a PhD student at King's College, London. Not that much happened on Monday, beyond being given my student card (with obligatory awful picture). I was there just long enough to have a look around and feel a little overwhelmed by the thousands of excitable freshers. King's has 24,000 students, spread over five campuses, but somehow it seemed busier than Cardiff (30,000 students, two campuses).



Today was my first real day there, with an afternoon full of inductions from the various support services. For one of probably very few times, I mingled with neuroscientists while learning about all the extra activities to fit in to the three years as well as research. One speaker pointed out that there are only 1067 days until my thesis is due in! Despite that, I aim to keep this blog up-to-date with all the fascinating opportunities open to me as part of such a vibrant department and university. My diary is rapidly filling with talks, film screenings, performances and more, so I hope this blog will be buzzing.

I ended the day with a really enjoyable student musical, Knowledge By Degrees (review coming soon), which made me really feel at home. I may be at my fourth university now, but some things never change!

EDIT: Forgot to say, one of my highlights of the afternoon was the presentation by the very droll Rev Tim Ditchfield, College Chaplain. I had wondered why King's had such a religious vibe about it and it turns out the College was created in 1829 by the Church of England to counteract the 'Godless and infidel' UCL down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment