Wednesday 1 January 2014

John Wilson Orchestra present MGM Film Musicals @ Royal Festival Hall

Superstar conductor John Wilson returned to the Royal Festival Hall  with his hand-picked orchestraon 5 December, this time with a selection of music from classic MGM film musicals like Singin' in the Rain, An American in Paris and Gigi.


Blown away by last year's celebration of Rogers, Hammerstein and Hart, as well as the JWO's annual prom performances, I booked my ticket way back in February to ensure I was in the middle of the front row. Wilson's star is certainly rising as for the first time he sold out two consecutive nights in London.


Musically, not as good a selection as last year - despite standards like The Lady is a Tramp - but it's always a treat to hear these lavish scores lovingly recreated and played by such a large and talented orchestra. It was a joy to see Anna-Jane Casey perform live too (my first time since Chicago in 2010, although I have enjoyed her prom appearances many times since), along with Matthew Ford.

I was one of only a handful of people under sixty there, and on my way out I overheard a couple talking about what a shame it was that 'the young people' are missing out on such quality music. Like John Wilson, I believe these old Hollywood musicals are timeless classics and hope that as his fame increases he will succeed in making them truly popular once again.

John Wilson and his orchestra will be celebrating the work of Cole Porter at the Royal Albert Hall on 25 November 2014. Book tickets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment