Wednesday 1 February 2012

Les Misérables feat. Ramin Karimloo 27/1/12

On Friday night I had the immense pleasure of going to see Les Misérables. It was the third time I'd seen it live, as well as one school production and watching both the 10th and 25th Anniversary productions more times than I could count. I know every word of the three hours, plus some that have been cut since the Original Cast Album. But that's nothing rare; I saw one woman proudly proclaim on Twitter having seen the show tens of times in the last few months. In 26 years it's been seen by more than ten million people all over the world. So what it is the secret to its enduring popularity?

Musically, the songs are at turns rousing, romantic and heartbreaking, both catchy and repeated enough to remain stuck in your head for days after, but other shows can boast the same (not many other shows, granted). The lyrics aren't great really compared to other shows (although they work so much better in French), but it's what those lyrics express that I think is at the heart of the show's success: the genius of Victor Hugo's epic novel with its incredibly engaging characters and at its heart the message of unwavering faith in a brighter tomorrow and the redemptive power of lover. As a wise person on The Story of Musicals   said, when the whole cast turn to you at the end and ask you to join in creating a better world you can't help but feel uplifted.

Les Misérables has always had a special place in my heart. Although I remember seeing other shows when I was very young (Oliver and Grease come to mind), I first saw Les Mis on my 13th birthday and it was the show that sparked the huge passion for musical theatre I've felt ever since. So on Friday night I was smiling through every moment, but not just for the music and the story. The cast were just incredible, the best cast I've seen live, especially Ramin Karimloo as Jean Valjean (current cast in the video above).

I first saw Ramin as Raoul in The Phantom of the Opera on my 16th birthday. At the time I fell for his beautiful voice and equally beautiful looks. Chris in Miss Saigon followed, and then Enjolras in the 25th Anniversary Les Mis last year, which is when I was really blown away by the power of his voice. At his tour late last year I got to enjoy more of that voice (although at the time I was annoyed that other people had to sing too and I couldn't have two hours of him uninterrupted) but it wasn't til the 25th Anniversary of Phantom when I really noticed what a wonderful actor he is. His Phantom just gets to me, no matter how many times I watch it. His acting is so subtle - a rare thing for musical theatre - and always seems so right. The moment at the end of Phantom when he's waiting for Christine to decide between him and Raoul and the tiny movements of one hand express so much emotion is one of the most powerful I've ever seen. So when I heard he was going to star as Valjean I couldn't contain my excitement. While Alfie Boe has an undeniably powerful voice and Colm Wilkinson (in his own words) has the voice of an angel, for me Ramin was perfect as Valjean, an unbeatable combination of beautifully textured voice and genuinely moving acting.



In short, if you haven't seen Les Mis yet, or even if you have, go to see it now while you can. The music and the story will always be engaging but a cast this strong is a rare treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment