Friday 6 July 2012

Santander Universities UK Reception with McLaren Drivers

This year I've developed a real Formula One addiction. Every other Sunday afternoon, reading, writing or whatever else needs to be done goes out the window as I inevitably get hooked on watching the cars whizz around the tracks. I love the rivalries, the drama, the tactics, and the undeniable talent of the drivers. So when I was told that, thanks to Santander, I would get to meet Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton, I was over the moon. I'd been looking forward to it for months, and on Wednesday the day finally came. I think I was probably one of the biggest fans there; I was so excited, I even took pictures of their chairs, just in front of me.

                    

  

Unfortunately 'meet' was an exaggeration. We couldn't talk to the drivers, take individual photos with them or get autographs as I'd daydreamed. Instead, Jenson and Lewis were there to present certificates to recipients of Formula Santander scholarships, along with Executive Chairman of Santander, and other important people from the bank. The drivers also spoke briefly about the importance of the scholarships. Jenson made us all laugh by saying "Well we know Santander only support the very best"!







The presentation with the drivers was part of a larger event, celebrating Santander's support of education, and particularly student mobility. As a student of Latin America, it was uplifting to hear how the universities over there are going from strength to strength, and how they receive support from British universities and companies like Santander. It was also a rare occasion to see over fifty Vice Chancellors gathered with dignitaries like Dave Willetts, Minister of State for Universities and Science, and Ana Botin, CEO of Santander Universities UK.



Now let's hope for a McLaren win at Silverstone on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment