Sunday 22 July 2012

Literary tunes

I've just finished reading Rudyard Kipling's The Man Who Would Be King, which I downloaded (free for Kindle - yay for expired copyright) primarily because I love The Libertine's song of the same title. In that vein, I thought I would share a few of my favourite songs based on literature. I know there are a lot more out there (including some very obvious ones like Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights), so please comment with your favourites.

The Libertines - The Man Who Would Be King
I don't think the song actually has much to do with the story beyond the title and a mention of newspapers, but it's been stuck in my head for days while I've been reading Kipling's 1888 novella. In the same way I could mention their What Katie Did single, apparently about an ex-girlfriend of Doherty's but sharing its name with Susan Coolidge's 1872 children's book.


The Velvet Underground - Venus in Furs (Leopold von Sacher-Masoch)
As it is named after the 1870 book that introduced Masochism to the world, it was once my psychology homework to listen to this 1966 track, which remains one of the coolest songs ever.



Elefant - Lolita (Vladamir Nabakov)
Lots of songs are named after Nabakov's iconic 1955 tale of a highly inappropriate attraction, but I love Elefant's for the rock-factor. It's a shame the band totally disappeared.


Broken Records - If Eilert Loevborg Wrote A Song It Would Sound Like This (Ibsen, Hedda Gabber)
I'm listening to Broken Records as I write this, so this had to be on the list. Ibsen's plays pack quite a punch (especially for the 19th century) and so does this song.


Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit (Lewis Caroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Another obvious one. Caroll's surreal stories fit perfectly with the 60s psychedelic vibe.


Ridan - Ulysse
There must be hundreds of songs inspired by Homer's Odyssey/Joyce's Ulysses, but as this list has been dominated by cool American rock, so I thought I'd mix it up with a little French urban protest music. I particularly like the siren (mermaids/police cars) pun.


Honourable mention: Jamie T - Sheila 
While not based on a book, I love the sampling from George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion in the middle of the song: "Good Heavens what a noise! Cold blooded murder of the English tongue. BRAAAA!"


3 comments:

  1. 1984 by david bowie...............

    ReplyDelete
  2. war of the worlds by jeff wayne.................

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad just sent me this rather long list: http://www.songfacts.com/category-songs_inspired_by_books.php Lots of exploring to do!

    ReplyDelete