Sunday 12 August 2012

English Language Centre Social Programme: Week 1

I've now been working at the Social Programme at the University of Bath's English Language Centre for a week and a half. As the complete lack of posts this week proves, the job has been keeping me very busy. I have actually started writing several posts in this time, but haven't had a chance to finish any of them! I hope to rectify this now, starting with weekly updates of our activities and what aspects of British culture we have been sharing with the students.

This week is a bit of a strange one, though. The weekend was one of the busiest of the summer, with many groups either leaving or arriving. Consequently, much of our time over the last week has been spent preparing for arrivals, loading people onto coaches, settling people in and dealing with any issues along the way, meaning that we have had less time for other activities. In addition, as one of the more experienced people in the office (returning for my second year in the Social Programme) I tend to stay on campus doing admin (I am a bit of a photocopying addict now) while others are out on the trips. So, there are only two activities for this week's round-up (plus a Saturday trip coming up in the next post).

Skittles @ Widcombe Social Club


We describe skittles to our students as a traditional British pass-time, but I imagine it's not the most popular activity these days. The other student helpers and I had certainly never played before this job. It's a shame though as it's actually really fun - like bowling, only more difficult. Part of the fun is certainly the competitive element though - I was the leader of 'Team Katie' and desperately cheering on my team throughout the night. We came second :(


Live Music @ The Bell - Count Bobo and The Bullion
Live music obviously isn't limited to Britain, but going to a local pub for a free gig is certainly something that lots of locals enjoy. The Bell, especially, is a spot well-loved by Bath residents, so our students got to chat to  many people as well as enjoying the ska-jazz fusion of Count Bobo and The Bullion (photographed by fellow student helper Bethany Squire). You can listen to their music here.


We had a great time dancing along to some of the more energetic tunes, and my new Turkish friends (on the ends, with me and a Czech girl) even tried to teach me how to belly-dance. I failed!

No comments:

Post a Comment