Wednesday 9 May 2012

Around the EU in films

Happy Europe Day! As you may have noticed, I'm a big fan of Europe, especially when it comes to culture, so I actually celebrate Europe Day. The day commemorates the Schuman Declaration of 9 May 1950 in which the then French Foreign Minister Robert Schuman proposed a form of European supranational community, leading to the creation of the European Coal and Steel Community, the ancestor of the EU.


In honour of the day, I'd like to travel through the EU through films, but I'm sad to say I don't know enough. So that's where you come in: please send me your suggestions! I'd love to end up with at least one film for each of the 27 member states.





I'll start off with a few of my favourites. Some of them are obvious choices, famous and critically acclaimed (e.g. La Dolce Vita). Others are less well known, but I love them.

France: Les Chansons d'amour (Love Songs) - Christophe Honoré (2007)

When people think French film, they'd maybe say Godard or Renoir, or more recently films like Amélie or La Haine. I am a huge fan of French cinema, old and new, but there's no director I love more (not just in France but in general) than Christophe Honoré, and his Les Chansons d'amour is my favourite film of all time. Big claim, I know, but I just love it. For starters, it's a musical, which is always going to win my favour, especially as the songs (written by Alex Beaupain) are really catchy. What I love most about it though, is that it explores so many aspects of human relationships, romantic to familial, mundane to illicit, joyful to tragic. It's an engrossing, moving and extremely true-to-life portrayal of love, loss and new beginnings. It also stars some of the best new French talent including Louis Garrel, Chiara Mastroianni and Clotilde Hesme. The trailer does not do it justice (probably because it's trying to avoid giving any plots twists away).



Germany: Metropolis - Fritz Lang (1927)
As much as I love recent German films like The Edukators, The Lives of Others and Goodbye, Lenin!, I'm going old-school for this one. Metropolis is widely regarded as one of the all-time classics and rightly so. It's one of the most creative and iconic films I've ever seen and an incredible technical achievement given when it was made. It proves you don't need words to make drama.


Ireland: Once - John Carney (2007)
A charming little musical made on a shoe-string that has taken the world by storm and has just been taken to Broadway. Staring Glen Hansard (of Irish folk band The Frames) and Czech songwriter Markéta Irglová as musicians who come together to make something beautiful. Their song Falling Slowly won the Oscar for Best Original Song (an honour slightly tarnished by the fact that Man or Mupet won this year). It's also a great film for Europe Day as it shows the benefits of supranational co-operation ;-)


Italy: La Dolce Vita - Federico Fellini (1960)
An obvious choice really. While I enjoy neo-realist classics, smush-fests like Il Postino and Cinema Paradiso, and modern films like Gomorra which show the realities of contemporary Italy, La Dolce Vita encapsulates the glamorous ideal of Rome. Plus I needed Marcello Mastroianni in here somewhere!



The Netherlands: Zwartboek (Black Book) - Paul Verhoeven (2006)
Admittedly I don't know very much about Dutch film at all (please send me recommendations!) but this exploration of Second World War Resistance is really interesting and visually impressive.


Spain: La Mala Educación (Bad Education) - Pedro Almodóvar (2004)
Pedro Almodóvar is undoubtedly the most successful and renowned Spanish film-maker and while All About My Mother is usually cited as his best film, I much prefer Bad Education. This semi-autobiographical film ties together strands that have run throughout his work, including questioning gender and sexuality norms, religious iconography and ambivalence towards the Church, and the nature of film-making. Absolutely beautiful and completely engrossing.



Sweden: Det sjunde inseglet (The Seventh Seal) - Ingmar Bergman (1957)
Another obvious choice, The Seventh Seal is the film that gave the world the iconic image of death playing chess. Beautifully made.


UK: In Bruges - Martin McDonagh
Choosing one film for th UK was always going to be a challenge, so rather than trying to find a film that is particularly representative of Britain, I've just gone with another of my favourite films. It also seems appropriate as it's set in Belgium, home of the EU. I've seen this darkly hilarious gangster film/homage to one of Belguim's biggest tourist attractions so many times and yet it still makes me laugh more than most films.


So that's eight down, only 19 to go! Please send in your suggestions and help me get around the EU in films.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Katie! First, thanks for the recommendations and congrats for the initiative! Looking forward to watch some of the films from your list! Secooooond, here are two of my favourite Romanian films: Amintiri din epoca de aur (Tales From the Golden Age) and Moartea domnului Lazarescu (The Death of Mr. Lazarescu). I could add more upon request :D Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adina, I look forward to watching them soon.

      Delete
  2. Ah, so you've already mentioned The Edukators! Nice choice of In Bruges though, superb film!

    I have a danish film called 'Pusher' that I have yet to see, a drugslordy type thriller, rated fairly well on rottentomatoes, could be recommended once I 've seen it!

    For Sweden, I suppose there is Girl with the Tattoo ( is that it? ) which is supposed to be pretty good, though I've not seen it myself. Or Let the Right One In - the original is supposed to be excellent.

    Whilst you've undoubtedly got France well covered I'll still recommend L'Armee des Ombres ( Noir/Resistance) as an absorbing slow burner or Les Diaboliques as a 50s Hitchcockian thriller, from a wealth of awesome films to choose from though.

    Also the first polish ( or rather franco-polish) film that came to mind was Claude Lanzmann's Shoah, though that hardly seems the film one would wish to watch in a celebration of Europe :p :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa Advani has suggested Reindeerspotting for Finland - I definitely have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In lieu of any other suggestions, will you accept "The Maltese Falcon" for Malta? and Roman Polanski films for both Roman(ia)and Polan(d)but not Italy (because that would be silly)?

    ReplyDelete