Wednesday 30 May 2012

Papergirl Cardiff

My first stop today was The PrintHaus in Canton to check out the Papergirl Cardiff exhibition.


The premise of Papergirl is that anyone can send in artwork (sketches, paintings, graphic design, even Polaroids) which will be exhibited at The PrintHaus until 4 June when the pictures will be distributed to random Cardiffians via bicycle. This video shows how it worked last year (sorry I had to remove the video because I couldn't stop it playing automatically and the music gets a bit annoying after a while - just click the link to see it).

There's a wide range of different work on show, by everyone from children to professional designers. Here are just a few quick snaps to give an idea of the variety on display, but the exhibition is much larger than just these. Quite a few of the submissions are featured on the Papergirl Cardiff page - check it out if you can't make it to the exhibition. 



While a lot of the pictures aren't labelled, I found details of a few of the artists involved. One is Ian Watson who has submitted a range of rather scary black and white sketches like the one below. I highly recommend checking out his website, as I did when I got home, for more creepy but cool drawings.


Another of my favourites was Nathan Hallett. The picture below is from his portfolio, as I can't find the pictures he submitted to the exhibition anywhere. They're in the same style but of superheroes (superheroes are clearly very in at the moment!) I look forward to seeing more from him soon.
The Printhaus itself was very interesting to visit too. It's a collective space, currently shared by various artists. During their open access hours you can have a nose around what they are currently working on and a get a glimpse into the behind-the-scenes of screen printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment